Friday, April 12, 2013

How Do You Stay Focussed While Driving a Car?

How Do You Stay Focussed While Driving a Car?

How easy is it to get caught out by something unexpected when you're driving! The traffic lights that change to amber just ahead of you, the pedestrian on that last zebra crossing, or that bend which was much sharper than you expected. Or something even more critical!

When things like that happen, it could be quite dangerous. Should I brake for the lights and risk the guy behind coming into the back of me, or keep going and risk running a red light? If I get away with it today, something tells me I might not get away with it another time. If there had been ice on that bend, or wet leaves, or another car coming the other way, what would have happened?

Even if it wasn't dangerous, it's unsettling. It's just made me aware of the fact that I wasn't aware! That means I'm not fully in control of this car on this road at this point in time. "Getting away with it" was a matter of luck. What if my luck runs out?

Is there anything I can do about this? Are there any strategies can I adopt so that things don't catch me out on the roads?

Some Starters

You probably know all about the common distractions. Talking to passengers, or listening as they talk to each other, you get caught up with what they're saying, and miss something on the road. The same thing happens with the radio, and of course, the hands-free mobile phone conversation. It may be legal, but you're focussed on the conversation, not what's happening on this road, now. That makes it so much easier to miss something.

But what happens when you're on your own in the car? With no passengers to distract you, no radio and no phone, does that improve the situation? I know what happens to me. I start thinking about something. I get caught up in a long train of thoughts, just as distracting as any conversation. Indeed, whenever I make a mistake in m y driving, and I ask myself, "Why did that happen?", the honest answer is usually, "I was thinking (about something else)!" It seems that my mind is part of the problem.

So tuning out of what your passengers are saying, or even asking them to be quiet a moment while you deal with some problem, may be a starting point in keeping focussed on the road, but most of us need some more proactive strategies to keep the mind focussed.

Some Strategies for staying focussed

1. Move Your Eyes

Sitting in one place, looking straight ahead, focussed just on the car in front, is a sure recipe for getting bored and not paying attention. Our eyes soon "glaze over" if we don't keep them moving.

So here's a very simple strategy. Keep the eyes moving. As a driver, there are so many places I need to check. The road ahead (far distance, middle distance and closer to), the traffic behind (using all three mirrors), the speed and other instruments, will all be important at times, so keep scanning. Pick up road signs, road markings, people on the pavements and traffic in adjacent lanes. Never again will another car appear "out of nowhere".

Late one evening I was on an unlit and completely empty motorway. I felt my eyelids drooping. How could I stay awake? Immediately I did a full set of mirror checks. There was nothing to be seen but the darkness behind, but just moving my eyes brought them back to life again. For the rest of the journey I kept them moving, whether there was anything to see or not. It kept me awake and alert. And it got me thinking about how to stay alert.

2. Keep Busy

The more you have to do, the more alert you stay.

So stay involved. For example, don't miss out on giving signals to other people. But don't just signal thoughtlessly either. Look at who you are signalling to. Time the signal carefully, so it tells other people what you really mean. Communicate! It helps ke ep me stay alert. And it helps other people.

While the road is clear, keep the speed steady. You know how the driver behind will get annoyed if you keep speeding up then slowing down. Many drivers do that without noticing. It takes some skill to keep the speed steady. You have to adjust the gas every time the gradient changes. You have to keep an eye on the speed. But it keeps you alert.

Use the gears intelligently. In town traffic you often have to change gear frequently. On a winding rural road it's the same. But don't just go on auto-pilot. Anticipate the next gear change. Which gear will you use for the next bend? As you slow down, don't just go down a gear, but think which one to use next.

Keep busy, and you keep more alert

3. Verbal noting

This is a technique often included in advanced driving tests, where it may be called "commentary driving". Use just a word or two to verbalise what you are dealing with on this bit of the road. "Z ebra Crossing" immediately gets me looking for pedestrians on the two pavements, and looking to see how close the car behind is. "Green Light" gets me anticipating whether it's likely to change, and preparing for it to do so.

This takes a bit of learning. The first problem is finding the words to use. At first I used such long sentences, I'd gone past each problem before I'd named it! You may need to practice getting your own list of words to use. "Sharp bend", "Bus waiting", "Bike" or even "Clear Road" are suitable short terms. The second problem is it may distract you from your driving at first! Maybe begin practicing (silently, if you like) from the passenger seat while someone else drives.

Look for the problems, but also look for the opportunities. "Clear Road" means I can pick up speed. At junctions, I'm looking for the gaps: "Clear after that red car" means I can move out at just the right time.

So it keeps me alert, it means I drive more safely, but I also drive more smartly. I don't miss opportunities.

4. Kill the Clock

One last thought. However focussed I try to be, if something is insistently nagging at my mind, it will keep dragging me away from the task in hand.

If I'm late for something, the pressure on me gets much more intense. Do you find yourself getting impatient with other drivers, with red lights, with the speed limit? Do you find yourself taking risks?

OK, I'm going to be late. That's the reality. If only I can accept that, then I can relax and pay more attention to the challenge of driving in this traffic, on this road. Sometimes it helps if I stop, and phone ahead. "I'm sorry. I've been delayed. I'll be with you... (giving a better estimate of the time)." Then see what a difference that makes.

Post Title

How Do You Stay Focussed While Driving a Car?


Post URL

http://running4daisy.blogspot.com/2013/04/how-do-you-stay-focussed-while-driving.html


Visit running4daisy for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

0 comments:

Post a Comment